Bristol Feeder League
First set up in April 2023, the Bristol Backgammon Feeder League, is designed to replace the Conference League, which ran from 2001 until 2021.
The purpose of that league is broadly mirrored by this one.
As suggested by the name, the league is a feeder league to the Bristol Premier League, which has directly and indirectly been the inspiration for many of the leagues now dotted around the UK.
In Bristol the league season runs from January 1st to November 30th each year, so new players for the Premier League are sought each November.
In the meantime, any new or developing players have to wait for their chance, hence the necessity for this league, which can welcome new members at any stage of the year.
The PRE-REQUISITES for joining the Feeder League are:
- The commitment to arrange and play as many (or as few) opponents as you wish in 11-point matches between January and November. N.B: In this league (unlike in the Premier League), if you fail to complete all your available fixtures, there are no repercussions;
- The willingness to pay the entry fee (£10, due on completion of your first match), and abide by the rules of the competition. N.B: An unnamed sponsor has agreed to add £50 to the total prize pot each year.
The REWARDS are:
- FOR THE WINNER -- the privilege of holding the Bristol Conference Trophy (as this league is effectively a replacement for that competition) for 12 months, and guaranteed entry into the following year's Bristol Masters event, provided the 20 points barrier has been breached at some stage during the season;
- FOR THE WINNER AND RUNNER-UP -- a small engraved memento to keep;
- FOR THE TOP FEW (precise number dependent on the number of entries) -- some prize money;
- FOR THOSE WHO HAVE, IN THE OPINION OF THE DIRECTOR, SHOWN SUFFICIENT COMMITMENT, an invitation to join the following year's Bristol Premier League.
- FOR EVERYONE WHO ENTERS -- the benefit of match-play experience over and above the Monday, Wednesday and Thursday tournaments which are already available, and the pleasure of getting to know the other competitors.
Find out more about the Bristol Feeder League by clicking on any of the following links:
Rules and formats
Previous years' history
Back to home page